Find out more and get your registration form at TurkeyRiverCorridor.com
Central High School’s Government class is hosting a public forum for Iowa House candidates from Districts 55 & 56 on Wednesday, October 15th, at 7:00 p.m. in the school auditorium, 400 1st NW, Elkader, IA . The public is encouraged to attend to become more informed about the political issues that are impacting us today. More Information
The trees are turning colors and the tractors are in the field. It’s Harvest Time! Elkader Main Street Promotion Committee and special project volunteers have worked together to create the first Harvest Fest at Founders Park. The activity will take place on October 18 at 10 am and run until Noon.
During the Festival there will be several free activities to do with the whole family, including a
Pumpkin Decorating Contest for all ages. Prizes include Chamber Bucks, Elkader Cinema Gift Certificates, and JNJ Pizza Gift Certificates. So carve it, paint it, glue it, or tape it, but make sure to bring it down to the playground shelter house between 10-11 am. Judging starts at 11 am sharp.
Other prize winning events include a potato sack race which begins at 11 am and Scarecrow races throughout the day.
A Family Challenge Walk will be run by the Hyperstream 4-H Club. In this walk you will walk (or run) along a loop and collect pieces of a pumpkin puzzle by completing challenges at specific locations.
There will be apple cider, popcorn, and many other fall games like bobbing for apples, so come and check out the festivities.
book by Richard Morris and Dick Scanlan
New Music by Jeanine Tesori
New Lyrics by Dick Scanlan
Original Story and Screenplay by Richard Morris
Adults $13, General Admission Balcony $11
To purchase Tickets
Phone: (563) 873-2378
Purchase tickets at Moser’s Pharmacy (563-245-2530) in downtown
Show Synopsis: Hear the roar of the twenties with Thoroughly Modern Millie at the Elkader Opera House. This Tony Award winning musical is an impressive and high-energy tribute to Broadway’s golden age. Join Cheri Moser (McGregor) as Millie, a fast-talking and highly-determined new-New Yorker journeying to become a modern woman in the decadent year of 1922.
With her heart set on money over love, Millie is soon caught between her new suitor, Jimmy (Jesse Moser, Guttenberg), and her plan to marry her wealthy boss, Trevor Graydon, III (Cary Kann, Prairie du Chien, WI). Fighting between old-fashioned love and new-woman determination, Millie lands in the middle of a criminal plot led by the deliciously villainous Mrs. Meers (Joeann Tesar, Wauzeka, WI) and her hilarious accomplices (Walter Stavroplus, McGregor and Dave Beck, Elkader). With the help of her best friend (Kristy Fleming, Dyersville) and an extravagant celebrity (Karin Martin-Hiner, Strawberry Point), Millie attempts to overturn the evil Mrs. Meers, tap dance her way to the top of the work force, Charleston through lush parties of bathtub gin, and fall in love while taking New York City by storm.
Thoroughly Modern Millie stars an amazing ensemble of tappers and flappers under the direction of Craig Strutt (McGregor) with choreography by Erin Horst (Mankato, MN).
The 40th Anniversary of Osborne Heritage Days promises new and exciting activities to honor the special occasion. So come out October 11th and 12th to glimpse Iowa’s pioneer era through living history demonstrations, contests, old time entertainment, and food! Osborne Park is 5 miles south of Elkader, IA on Hwy 13.
New–Feature Special Guest –Dr. Dusty’s Medicine Show
Performing 3 shows daily, Dr. Dusty Will recreate the historic medicine show through humor, magic, science, music and good old-fashion family fun.
New–Osborne Commemorative U S Postal Service Cancellation Postmark
Saturday the Osborne Post Office will be open for a special Commemorative U S Postal Service Cancellation Postmark.
The Eagle Express Kiddie Train Rides
Authentic Buffalo Stew served twice daily
- Contest Participants Sought For Heritage Days
Osborne is seeking entries for a variety of contests during this year’s Annual Osborne Heritage Days celebration. So come out to show your skill, creativity, and spirit. Anyone interested in participating in any of the contests, please visit www.claytoncountyconservation.org for details or contact us at 563-245-1516.
Osborne Chili Cook-off on Saturday
Chili cooking will begin at 9 a.m. Saturday October 12. Then starting at noon tasting begins and visitors will have the opportunity to sample each participant’s chili. Visit www.claytoncountyconservation.org for registration information.
KADR-KCTN Pumpkin Contests on Sunday
Pumpkins should be dropped off in the Osborne Pioneer Village on Sunday between 11a.m. and 1p.m.
“Carved or Decorated Pumpkin Contest” – Prizes for first through third places in age divisions 12 years and under or 13 years and over.
“Great Pumpkin Contest” – Search for the largest pumpkin grown in the area, judged by total weight plus circumference. Prizes will be awarded in both age divisions.
KADR-KCTN Iowa Championship Buffalo Chip Throw on Sunday
Buffalo Chip Throwing will begin at 3 p.m. 1st place trophy in Men’s, Women’s, Boy’s, & Girl’s Divisions.
Visit GermanFestingGuttenberg.com for all the details. But this is too exciting not to mention the all new Scratch Cupcakery Curbside Truck will be at GermanFest this weekend!
Saturday September 13
4 p.m.- 6 p.m.
Motor Mill co-founder James O. Crosby (aka David Beck of Elkader) will make a guest appearance at Motor Mill. Beck, who is well known for his performances with Elkader’s Opera House Players, will portray Crosby, giving a brief history of Motor Mill. Crosby was one of three partners who built the Mill and the nearby community in the late 1860s.
The open house also will include tours of the Mill and other buildings, where volunteers will answer questions and interpret the historic site. Join the scavenger hunt to locate unique features of the Motor townsite.
Hikers also may explore the Grau Memorial Savanna on the bluff north of the Mill. The Clayton County Conservation Board is working to re-establish prairie plants among scattered oaks that characterized the site when the Mill was built.
The activities will conclude with an ice cream social featuring soft-serve ice cream and bars. Free will donations are appreciated.
Elkader Opera House
Saturday, September 13th, 2013 – 7:30 p.m.
Tickets: In Advance $18 Adults $8 Students;
At the door $20 Adults $10 Students
Discount Tickets: $4 student ticket with the purchase of an adult ticket in advance ($18)
To purchase Tickets
Phone: (563) 873-2378
Purchase tickets at Moser’s Pharmacy (563-245-2530) in downtown
Schera’s is delighted to host Zwanze Day 2014. Perhaps the most anticipated annual release in the world of beer, the Zwanze Day beer from Cantillon is only available on tap at 52 locations throughout the world on one day only. Brewer Jean van Roy at Cantillon, the premiere lambic brewery in the world, creates a unique beer for each Zwanze Day, and this year is no exception. Cuvee Florian, this year’s Zwanze, is a blend of three-year-old Iris Grand Cru with some Kriek to provide mellow fruitiness. It’s then cold-hopped with a handful of delicate Bramling Cross hops. The beer is named after Jean van Roy’s son Florian, who, upon his 18th birthday last May, received a keg of this beer as a birthday gift. Such are the perks of being a lambic maker’s son!
Read more about Cantillon on their website and facebook page.
Due to the nature of the event, and to ensure everyone has a great experience, a limited number of tickets will be made available. The rules for the event are outlined below.
1. Tickets are required for this event and must be purchased in advance. In the case that tickets do not sell out before the event, they may be offered at the door on the day of the event. Tickets will go on sale Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 10:30am.
2. Tickets may be purchased in person at Schera’s or over the phone at 563-245-1992 with a credit card. Customers will be charged for the tickets at the time of the sale. No refunds will be given; however, tickets are transferable. Please contact the restaurant for more details about transferring tickets.
3. Customers will receive their tickets at the door on the day of the event. A valid driver’s license may be requested. One set of tickets per person. Ticket sets may not be shared among 2 or more people.
4. All attendees must be at least 21 years of age. We reserve the right to request ID before and during the event. Any tickets purchased by or for people under the age of 21 will be forfeit without a refund.
5. The ticket pack consists of 6 tickets: 1 blue ticket for 6oz Cantillon Zwanze pour, 1 red ticket for 4oz Cantillon Mamouche pour, 1 yellow ticket for 4oz Cantillon Gueze pour, 1 green ticket for 4 oz Cantillon St. Gilloise pour, 1 orange ticket for 4oz 4yr-old Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza pour, 1 white ticket for a machoui (slow-roasted Algerian lamb) sandwich and sides (which will include vegetarian options).
6. Ticket packs are $60 per person (with 7% tax, $64.20), and includes a commemorative Schera’s/Zwanze day glass to take home with you.
7. Zwanze Day will take place from 12pm to 5pm on Saturday, September 20th, 2014. Because of the ticketing process, every person with a ticket is guaranteed a pour of that beer. Therefore, people can start the event at any point throughout the time period and proceed at their own pace. However, all tickets must be redeemed by the event’s close at 5pm to guarantee a pour.
8. If at the end of the event any of the ticketed beers remain, additional 6oz. pours will be sold for $8 each.
9. Other beer draws will be available during the event for regular price. Refer to the current beer list for selection options. The kitchen will be closed for the duration of the event.
10. During the event, Schera’s will be closed to the general public. After the event, Schera’s will open for limited dinner service at 6pm for reservations only. If you would like to stay for dinner, please make a reservation before the event.
11. A very limited amount of Cantillon bottles will be available for take-out sales during the event. Due to limited availability, we will restrict sales to three (3) bottles per person.
12. T-shirts will be available on the day of the event for $20.
13. Designated drivers are welcome to join. Admission is $15 ($16.05 with 7% sales tax) and includes a white ticket for a machoui (slow-roasted Algerian lamb) sandwich, sides (which will include vegetarian options), and non-alcoholic beverage. We request that designated driver tickets be purchased with regular Zwanze tickets.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone 563-245-1992.